A lot of people who have been together for a long time tend to lose the intimacy that was once in their relationship. Jobs, kids or other responsibilities tend to get in the way of our relationships.
When I say intimacy I’m not just talking about sex. Intimacy isn’t always just sex related; it is being close to another person and enjoying being with them.
In order to maintain intimacy in a relationship it is important that the relationship be considered an important aspect of your life. If that stops, then the relationship will be on shaky ground.
Below are a few tips to help you keep the intimacy in your relationship:
- Treat it as a priority. Make sure that no matter what else is going on in your life that your relationship is high on your priority list.
- Have a date night. Life can get very hectic with jobs and other responsibilities and just like you would schedule in any other appointment, schedule a date night every single week. It can change per week, but make sure you schedule one. Don’t let anything else get in the way of your special time together. It doesn’t have a be an outing, just giving each other uninterrupted attention for one hour can go a long way.
- Hold hands. You might think that’s a little juvenile but if you keep holding hands, then there is a closeness that you all experience and that helps keep your relationship intimate. Hold hands sometimes when you pray together.
- Talk to each other. It’s so easy for us to come home from our jobs and talk about nothing but work. It doesn’t have to be that way. Try to leave work at work and talk about other things together. Talk about the things you want to do to the house, with each other. Anything but work. We spend 8 hours each day at work, who wants to spend another 4 hours after we get home talking about it?
- Kiss each other passionately. It doesn’t matter when or where you are, just ensure the kiss is passionate. Don’t just settle for that little peck on the cheek or forehead; kiss like you really mean it.
- Show love, act in love every day. The old saying, “Actions speak louder than words” really holds true in this case. You can tell someone that you love them a hundred times a day, but if you don’t show them that you love them, will they really believe you? It doesn’t have to be something huge, easy and simple stuff means the most to all of us.
No matter what you do in your life every single day make sure you devote time to your relationship so that it doesn’t grow stagnant. We all know that relationships that aren’t nurtured are the ones that eventually fizzle out and die. Don’t let that happen to you.